Erok Header

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Vacation and Bible Study

The Blog Lays Silent,
The Facebook feed no longer fills,
Twitter is not tweeting,
This is not a matter of my will...or is it?

We have access to the Internet,
By tablet or by phone,
When we are so connected,
We can never feel alone,

When we travel on a road trip,
The temptation is always there,
To update all our networks,
Or search through everyone's affairs,

So many of us are addicted,
Like some of us are to pills,
So how can we follow edicts,
To be silent and "Be Still"?

I found myself feeling guilty,
For not updating and not showing,
Everyone on the world wide web,
What I was doing and where I was going,

So I snapped a few photos,
Uploaded them with my phone,
We really have come a long way,
From tablets made of stone,

But our need now to communicate,
Has made us slaves to self,
We like our likes more than motorbikes,
Page views are our new wealth,

We blog, we vlog, we update status,
We seem to have so much to share,
Have we ever asked if it matters?
Have we asked if anyone cares?

But I opened up my Bible,
I did not care who was around,
I did not care if I should tell the world
In that moment the Truth I found,

Hid the Word within my heart,
Let it change me from within,
Because sometimes the future,
Is exactly where we begin.

I wrote this because I was trying to find a way to express my feelings during this vacation. If you had been following my blog for the last two weeks since I began blogging again, you would notice that I was looking at the Uniqueness of God's people for about a week, and then it was silent. I went on vacation, and I continued doing character studies as part of my personal devotions. But I kept getting down on myself because "Eric you just started blogging again and were beginning to gain steam again and now you haven't kept up with it on your vacation." But then I remembered the Psalmist who wrote "Tremble and do not sin; Meditate in your heart upon your bed, and BE STILL..."(Psalm 4:4).

We need to continue to be reminded, because I know that what I am saying is not new, that we can become so busy that we are no longer listening to what it is that God is doing. I challenge you, once you are done reading this post, turn off your phone, turn off your computer, open God's Word and get excited about it for the first time or like me, get excited about it like when I began this amazing journey with our Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment